Monday, August 30, 2010

On The Mend…

Considering the weekend we had, I couldn’t think of a better title than this one.

This weekend was stressful to say the least! Friday afternoon I got a call from Denise telling me that Carter was running a fever when she got there to pick him up. Well, when he got home I checked his temperature and it was 103.8!! He looked miserable and I thought “oh great here we go!”

I gave him Advil at 4pm and the fever came down pretty fast so I figured we could just give it a day or so and see where this goes. I didn’t want to rush him to the doctor like I usually do only to be told its a virus. I was going to be tough and wait it out a little.

He was fine until around 6:30 when I checked him again and his temp had gone up to 103.7! I decided to get him in the tub and see if I could get it down some. The bath didn’t go very well, he was freezing and shivering so I got him out. We (CJ, Carter & I) laid in our bed watching Dora and he ended up passing out at 6:55! We gave him Gatorade and took everything off but his diaper.

I waited five minutes and checked his temperature again, thinking that if he was resting maybe it had gone down a little. Boy was I wrong. When I took the thermometer out of his ear and saw 105.6 I was in TOTAL SHOCK! Thank God CJ was right there with me for that!! We hurried him into the bathroom and started a bath. Before CJ could even get his clothes off, he started throwing up! At this point, I think we were both panicking a little and I quickly cleaned Carter up and called the  pediatricians emergency hotline! They couldn’t give me an estimate on how long it would take the doctor to call me back, so we packed everything up and headed to Civista!

Let me just tell you, that ride was the longest ride of my life! Carter was SO out of it, he couldn’t even look at me, wouldn’t talk, very lethargic! I kept talking to him…trying to get him to focus on me and he was just so sick that all he wanted to do was sleep!  It was the scariest moment I’ve ever experienced to date :( Also, on the ride, Doctor Mena finally called me back! Once I explained to her what was going on, she told me just to take him to the ER.

I won’t get into all the details about Civisita because that would take me forever, but I will say this…. I will NEVER go back there again unless it is my only option. St. Mary’s Hospital is only an extra 10 minutes from our house and in the future we will be going there if needed. We did not leave until 12am and the night was filled with nurses that need to go back to school!!!!!!!!!!

Saturday morning I took Carter to see Dr. Mena and she diagnosed him with Tonsillitis, which is known to cause high fevers, dehydration, vomiting, etc. We got a prescription for Amoxicillan and headed home. By Saturday night, Carter’s fever was much better and by Sunday morning he was fever free :) He is back to his normal, beautiful, happy self now and we couldn’t be more relieved!

IMG_4151

 

Here he is helping CJ pick some good players for his Fantasy Football team :) CJ had some of the guys over for their “draft” …IMG_4145IMG_4146

Making his own listIMG_4147 IMG_4148IMG_4149

 I know that was a LONG story! I just knew I had to fill everyone in though and especially update the GREAT news that Carter is all better :)

AND, notice anything new in the picture below? Yep, Carter got his haircut again! We took him last Thursday. He wasn’t very happy in the chair, but we made it through and he got a big slice of pound cake for being so brave!

IMG_4150

4 comments:

The Vathes Family said...

Man, what a scarey weekend!! I'm sorry you had such a tough time at Civista, I think it's a hit or miss there =( I'm glad he's feeling better now though... LOVE his new hair cut!!

Nicole said...

I'm glad that he's better....that would have been so scary for me too!!

The Marsh's said...

Glad he's feeling all better...I know that was so scary for you guys! I hate moments like that :(

McNab Family said...

Glad he's feeling better! Hopefully all of our kids have gotten there sickness' out of them!