Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Surgery day

Today was the day...surgery day! Even though he was only given "laughing gas" and he was only asleep for 10 minutes (yes it was that fast!) It was still considered surgery! Carter even had to wear a little hospital gown and socks! I was very nervous about this whole thing, but honestly it wasn't bad at all! God heard my prayers Sunday night because Carter slept ALL night long & woke up in a happy mood! He sat content in his car seat the whole ride up to the hospital-which took about an hour to get to & he didn't cry at all for food or milk!!
When we got in the waiting room, he played so good & sat so patiently with us! He was such an angel this morning...Thank God for that. I love Calvert Hospital too, the people are so nice there. We waited in the "playroom" until it was time for his surgery & then I gave him a kiss goodbye (which was tough!) but I did not cry-GO ME!! We decided that Daddy should be the one to take him back when they put him to sleep. I was going back and forth with the idea of me being the one to do it, but ultimately we thought it best for CJ to do it. He said it was hard to watch, but very glad he did it and not me!! I agree lol.....I probably would have been a mess!! After he fell asleep, CJ came back out into the waiting room and we maybe waited 12 minutes and it was over!! Then we both got to go back to the recovery room and see our baby. He was NOT happy when he woke up-if that's what you want to call it! I say that because he wasn't really 'awake'. His eyes were still closed, but he was crying and throwing his head back, his arms back, & just plain mad!! They told me that most kids wake up that way and knowing Carter, I kinda expected it-haha! We comforted him and rocked him until he fell back asleep and when he did, he was out like a light!! We were able to get him dressed and put him in the car seat without ever waking him up! He slept until about half way home & woke up cheerful and all smiles :)
I stayed home from work to be with him and we just relaxed and played all day! It was so nice to be able to have that 1 on 1 time with him. He has to take ear drops 3 times a day for the next five days & go back to see Dr. Daidone in 2 weeks (11/24/09) for a check up! Hopefully these tubes help as much as they say they will. I am just relieved its all over and now we can look forward to less 'sick days' ahead :)
*Ps. I dont have any pictures because I am tired tonight and I'm going to bed as soon as I'm done typing this. Tomorrow I will have some pictures for sure though!!

2 comments:

The Vathes Family said...

Glad to hear everything went well!! =)

Nicole said...

So glad that it went well and is over with! I was thinking about you guys yesterday!