Monday, October 4, 2010

Bye-Bye Binki

We will miss you because even though this is a positive change, SO many memories of my sweet baby are with you!

IMG_4396This Binki was my savior during Carter’s Colic stage and it also helped me through countless nights of 2am lullaby’s…

It helped us in the car rides and doctor visits! It helped us during Carter’s first time being put to sleep…during two blizzard’s and sick days….  and SO much more! But, now its time to say good bye to my blue friend!  My baby isn’t a baby anymore! He’s growing everyday, turning into a bright young man before our very eyes :)  

I know that probably sounded a little sappy…saying “Good Bye” to a material thing like that! I actually think it was alot harder for me to let go of this Binki than it was for Carter. I mean, its been a part of our lives for the last two years…so I thought this was a big deal ;)

Okay, let me get on with the update, ha! Last weekend while CJ and I were in NC, Carter spent 1 whole day and night with out his Binki. He did great, but of course as soon as we got home and he saw me, he asked for it! He associates me with it because I have always given it to him. Well, after I realized that he could go with out it for so long, I decided it was time to finally go for it. Monday afternoon before Carter got home from daycare, I cut the tip off of it. I left it in his crib so that we could “stumble” upon it and see that some how it “broke”!

Well, when Carter got home that day he immediately asked me for it. Once we got downstairs, he went in his room to find it. When we found it in his crib and saw it, he looked shocked, poor thing! I just said “Oh no, Binki must have broke!” and he said “now you have to get me a new binki!” LOL! Little Stinker! I just explained to him that sometimes when things get old, they brake and that he could still have it, just not suck on it. He tried to keep it in his mouth that first day, but it just kept falling out and eventually he got frustrated and stopped trying.

Since that day, he has not attempted to put Binki in his mouth, he keeps it in his bed, but does not ask for it hardly ever! I felt so bad cutting it when I did, but after alot of thinking I realized that these are just growing pains….and that I better toughen up because this is easy compared to what I am facing as he gets older, LOL! 

Now, just for fun….lets go back in time and remember the good ole’ days with Binki….. Gone but never forgotten, ha!

The first Binki….right from the hospital…. it was peach..

carter&daddysleeping3

The new blue Binki :)

Summer 2008 I guess 256 Fall-Winter08-09 382

IMG_1030

I will hold these memories forever in my heart IMG_2308

IMG_3008 IMG_2253 IMG_2751IMG_3322 IMG_3978

5 comments:

The Vathes Family said...

Aw good job on sticking it out!! I know what you mean though - it's hard to let go of things that remind you of your baby as a little baby. I was a mess packing up Madalynn's newborn clothes, it made me sad thinking of how fast this time is going by =(

The Marsh's said...

LOL awwww I love all the pictures, he looks so relaxed with his binki, they were definitely best buds! But like you said, its time to move on and it seems like he's handling it well, so you made the right choice :)

Diana said...

Way to stay strong Angela!! Good job! He'll thank you for that down the road :)

Jamie Claudia said...

WOW Look how long his hair was!!! I'm so happy that the breakup between boy and binki went so well! Better now than later ;) I'll definitely keep this trick in mind if my son is a binki boy for when it might be time to let it go!

Karen Reitz-Wood said...

Angela, what a GREAT post. You need to give "props" to the binky. They can be a life saver.

If I ever need a remedy to get rid of a binky again, I will TOTALLY use yours. That is the best one I heard yet!!!